Welcome to the Parish Giving Scheme
A free resource to help your church members plan their tax-efficient giving
About the Parish Giving Scheme
Churches across our diocese are seeing the benefits of making the Parish Giving Scheme their main way to offer giving in their church. The Parish Giving Scheme offers time savings and tax efficiency whilst helping churches gain more certainty in planning budgets. This page helps you understand what you need to set up a scheme for your church or worshipping community.
The Parish Giving Scheme (PGS) will:
- Dramatically reduce the time your treasurers and Gift Aid Secretaries need to devote to administration
- Give you regular and speedy payments and returns from Gift Aid
- Offer an easy way to tackle static giving with the value of gifts being raised by inflation on an annual basis.
The Parish Giving Scheme allows all who currently give by standing order, envelopes or loose on the offering plate to plan and manage their giving through Direct Debit.
It's easy to set up and manage. All the PCC needs to do is pass a resolution to start the Scheme and show leadership by joining and encouraging others to join. The diocese covers the administrative cost so it is free to churches and the Parish Giving Scheme - a UK based charity - does all the work.
How everyone benefits from the Parish Giving Scheme
The church benefits:
- Stable and often increased planned giving - offsetting ‘static’ giving.
- Efficiently reclaiming Gift Aid.
- Protection against inflation by church members choosing to increase their gift annually by the inflation rate.
The treasurer benefits:
- Reduced administration and paperwork.
- Saves time for them and people who count the money.
The individual benefits:
- Being in total control of how much they give.
- A simple giving method that means regular financial support to their church.
- The option to increase giving annually to protect their gift against inflation.
- The Direct Debit Guarantee Scheme protects gifts.
- They can give anonymously if so desired.
Encouraging giving through the Parish Giving Scheme
Planned givers in churches already registered can join PGS in one of three ways
1) New givers can go to the PGS website www.parishgiving.org.uk/home/ to set up their giving
Just locate their own church's PGS page by searching for their church with a postcode and then clicking on the donate button.
2) New givers can also call the PGS office on 0333 002 1271
The team will take them through the sign-up process – this normally takes 10 to 15 minutes.
3) New givers can post a PGS Gift form to the PGS team
Gift forms are available from the PGS contact in their church
To set up giving in any of the three ways they will need to have the following information:
- Personal bank account details
- The name of the parish they wish to donate to ie full church name
- They will need to confirm if they want to increase their gift in line with inflation each year
- Confirm if they are eligible for Gift Aid
- The PGS code for their parish you will need to provide your givers with your church’s unique PGS parish code.
The unique code will be on the Gift forms that each church has previously been provided with or on the monthly PGS statement. If you require the PGS parish code please email Cath Gaskell.
Existing PGS givers can easily increase their monthly gifts by email to email@example.com or phone 0333 002 1260.
Registering your church with the Parish Giving Scheme
If your church is not registered with the Parish Giving Scheme, download the PGS Registration Form. The PCC resolution can be obtained via email agreement or the Standing Committee.
Email the form to Cath Gaskell who will provide you with your churches 9 digit code and new givers can immediately join by calling 0333 002 1271
It is a win-win proposition which helps our treasurer and church'
Frankie, Church Warden
Publicising the Parish Giving Scheme
We have produced a simple leaflet for folk who want to join the PGS setting out what the PGS is and what information they need when they call the PGS. For a copy of this leaflet please email Cath Gaskell or Steve Pierce.
- PGS Explained
- A guide for donors: how to set up your regular giving online
- A guide for Church Councils
- A guide for Church Members
- Registration Form
- Implementation Handbook
- Frequently Asked Questions
Finance Resources Officer
call 0151 705 2180