Your PCC & the Charity Commission

Making It Easier > Making it easier to... > Serve on a PCC > You & the Charity Commission

As a PCC member, you will need to be mindful of your responsibilities as a charity trustee. This section is here to help you.

Your PCC & charity status
All Church of England parishes are charities. If your total parish income is less than £100,000 a year, your parish is ‘excepted’ from charity registration, and you don’t have to submit annual returns to the Charity Commission. Apart from that, the commission regulates excepted charities just like registered charities.

If your parish's annual income is more than £100,000, your PCC will need to register with the Charity Commission and you will receive a Registered Charity number.

If your parish exceeds the £100,000 threshold due to an exceptional, one-off income source, you can ask the Charity Commission for a dispensation from registration.

Click here for guidance on registration and dispensation on the Parish Resources website.

For Church of England parishes there are:
  • A streamlined registration process, and guidance notes produced specifically for PCCs;
  • A leaflet on Trusteeship, based on the Charity Commission publications CC3a 'The Essential Trustee' and CC60 'Hallmarks of an Effective Charity'.  This will build your awareness of PCC members’ responsibilities as trustees.
  • Suggested PCC meeting agenda items.
For further information, please contact our Resources Team on 0151 705 2180 or email
Governing documents
The Charity Commission, after discussion with the Archbishops' Council, have approved the following as the Governing Documents for all Parochial Church Councils:
  • Parochial Church Councils (Powers) Measure 1956 (as amended).
  • Church Representation Rules (contained in Schedule 3 to the Synodical Government Measure 1969, as amended).
When registering with the Charity Commission, PCCs will not need to provide a copy of these documents.