Making It Easier > Making it easier to... > Manage parish finances > Investments

The Diocese of Liverpool holds investments on behalf of a number of parishes

It is good practice for churches to hold reserves, money set aside to ensure that the church can meet unexpected problems, repairs to buildings, a buffer against cash flow problems and as part of plannng for building, ministry or mission developments. Many parishes hold these reserves in bank and building society accounts for ease of access. However, a number of churches choose to invest a portion of their reserves, accepting a little risk to make their money work harder. 
CCLA Investments
All parish investments held by the diocese are with CCLA, an ethical investment company who provide a range of funds specifically designed for Church of England organisations. For details on investments and trusts currently held by the diocese please use the links and contact details provided.
New Accounts
For parishes who would like to open a new investment account directly with CCLA, please use the links and contact details provided. For parishes who need or would prefer to open an account in the diocese' name, please contact
Matt Elliott at St James' House for further details. The diocese is not able to offer investment advice. For advice on the range of funds offered by CCLA, please contact their client services team directly.
Deposits and Withdrawals
Idealy withdrawals and deposits should be requested using the available forms (see purple panel on right). These forms can be downloaded via the links provided.  Alternatively requests can also be made by signed instruction.
Statements and Valuations
Share prices, investment valuations and other details from CCLA be found on CCLA's website (link shown to right). Copies of CCLA's quarterly and half yearly statements can be obtained from the diocese upon request. Annual valuations will be sent to parish treasurers at the end of January each year.
Restricted Funds (Trusts) & Endowments
Some parish trusts are restricted in their use by the terms of a bequest or donation. In other cases, trusts may be older than currently available records. If you suspect that a trust may be restricted in some way, you are advised to inspect any available records such as PCC minutes, wills or donation letters before deciding to expend any of the trusts capital. In some instances, the diocese as Custodian Trustee may have a record of any restriction but this responsibility usually lies with the managing trustees. In most cases the PCC would be considered the managing trustees. In some cases, the objects of historic parish trusts may no longer be practically applicable, or the trust may no longer be sufficient in size to meet it's own objects.

Legislation, under certain circumstances, gives trustees of small charities the power to expend permanent endowments and alter the purposes of a trust. A charity must meet specific requirements for these powers to be applied. For information and guidance on these issues please use the links to the Charity Commission website provided in the right-hand panel.

Total return investment for permanently endowed charities:
For those parishes that hold large historical endownment investments, the complex issue of how much of any market share value increase can be converted for cash use is not an easy one. PCCs should read the Charity Commission's guidance on this subject and always seek professional financial advice.

Managing our Money


For copies of statements, details of holdings and general queries:
0151 705 2170
0151 705 2211 (fax)

For information or advice on CCLA funds:
0800 022 3505
0844 561 5126 (fax)