Funding opportunities for Clergy

Making It Easier > Processes > Clergy Handbook > Clergy Funding Opportunities

DPA grants

Small grants are available to clergy in Designated Priority Areas (the most deprived parishes in the Diocese) relating to ministry such as retreats, courses and possibly towards the higher costs of car insurance. Please approach your Archdeacon for information.

Charities providing help for clergy and their families

This list of charities is an attempt to summarise some of the sources of grants and funds for clergy and their families. Most Bishops and dioceses have access to other local funds. National charities can also be helpful for specific assistance.

Henry Smith’s Charity
The Director, The Henry Smith Charity, 124 Chancery Lane, London EC4A I BU – 020 7320 6884 – For the relief of poor, aged or sick members of the clergy and their spouses, widows, widowers and dependants. 020 7320 6884.

The Friends of the Clergy Corporation
The Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy 
FOCC, holidays, Primary school clothing, retirement, infant, adult and clerical clothing, hospital visiting, convalescence, maintenance for children at universities/colleges, CSOC, Secondary school fees and clothing, school travel and trips of an educational nature, musical instruments and lessons, maintenance for dependent children of single parent, families, book grants for ordinands.
If your need falls into one charity’s listed area, please contact that charity only, otherwise please contact: Registrar of the CSOC (020 7799 3696 or or the Secretary of the FOCC (020-7222 2288 or

The St Boniface Trust,
Mr David Prior
4 Cley View
BA12 8NS.

St Aidan’s College Charity,
Chester Diocesan Board of Finance,
Church House,
Lower Lane,

The Archbishop’s Council,
Mr Alan Tuddenham, Board of Mission,
Church House,
Great Smith St,

Ecclesiastical Insurance Group,
Beaufort House,
Brunswick Road,

Frances Ashton’s Charity
c/o Mrs G Fowle, Frances Ashton's Charity,  Beech House, Woolston, Yeovil Somerset
BA22 7BJ - - 07775 717 606
Provides grants of variable amounts for needy clergy of the Church of England, serving or retired, and the widows or widowers of such clergy. Completed applications are required by 1 June for the annual distribution in September.

Foundation of Edward Storey
Storey’s House, Mount Pleasant, Cambridge CB3 OBZ – 01223 364405
The clergy widow branch gives financial help and limited accommodation for women who are:
1. Widows of clergymen of the Church of England
2. Dependants of clergymen of the Church of England
3. Women Deacons and Deaconesses of the Church of England
4. Missionaries of the Church of England
5. Other women closely involved in the work of the Church of England.

Newton’s Trust
Chapter Office, 19a The Close, Lichfield WS13 7LD – 01543 306104 –
Financial assistance to widows or unmarried daughters of deceased clergymen and to divorced or separated wives of clergymen of the Church of England. Applications are considered by the grants committee appointed by the Trustees, and one-time cash grants are made at their discretion.

Society for the Relief of Poor Clergymen
c/o CPAS, Athena Drive, Tachbrook Park, Warwick CV34 6NG – 01926 334242 – Founded 1788 to aid evangelical ministers and their dependants in times of financial distress due to sickness, bereavement or other difficulties.

The English Clergy Association
Almoner: The Revd Richard Hall -, 45 Howard Park, Greystoke, Cumbria CA11 0TU
Holiday grants are given, in many cases of a sufficient size to make a significantly helpful contribution to clergy (and their family’s) enjoyment of life.

Queen Victoria Clergy Fund
020 7898 1310 Assisting Church of England clergy in financial need.

The Buttle Trust
Audley House, 13 Palace Street, London SW1E 5HS – 020 7828 7311 –
Child support grants – for an item or service which is critical to the well being of the child. School fees grants – to help meet the costs of schooling for children with acute needs that cannot in practice be met with the state education system or where there is a strong need for the child to be found a place in a boarding school. Grants for students and trainees – to provide assistance with the acquisition of academic, trade, professional or vocational qualifications to young people facing severe social, emotional or health problems.

Mothers’ Union
Mary Sumner House, 24 Tufton Street, London SW1P 3RB – 020 7222 5533 – Caravans in holiday locations – sometimes families can stay with members for ‘Away from it all’ holidays.

Crosse’s Charity
Clerk to the Trustees: Mr C P Kitto, 20 Saint John Street, Lichfield, Staffs. WS13 6PD – 01543 262491. Provides small annuities for widows of clergymen of the Church of England. Preference given to those, who from age, ill-health, accident or infirmity are unable to maintain themselves by their own exertions.

The Women’s Continuing Ministerial Education Trust
c/o The Director, Ministry Division, Church House, Great Smith Street, London SW1P 3NZ. The three Trusts formerly known as the Central Deaconess House Trust Fund, the St Andrews House Fund and the Church of England Deaconess Fund have now been amalgamated, and are governed by a scheme known as the Women’s Continuing Ministerial Education Trust. The object of the WCMET is to further the Continuing Ministerial Education of women in the Church of England and the Scottish Episcopal Church by means of grants to ordained women, female Accredited Lay Workers (including Church Army sisters) and religious sisters (lay or ordained) who, in the opinion of the Trustees, are in need of financial assistance. The Trustees’ policy is to assist their work and professional ministry in areas that go beyond normal diocesan financial responsibilities or where normal diocesan resources are insufficient, for example in-service training, academic study, sabbaticals and travel. Applications should be made on the form provided. Applications normally considered quarterly, at the end of: March, June, September and December.

The Elizabeth Finn Trust (formerly DGAA)
1 Derry Street, London W8 5HY – 020 7396 6700 –
The Elizabeth Finn Trust relieves need and distress among British and Irish people, and members of their immediate family, from a wide range of occupations and backgrounds. No account is taken of religious denomination, political opinion, age or place of residence. Need and distress may encompass difficulties associated with old age, infirmity, disability, social isolation or financial need. People helped fall into two groups: those who live at home and have capital worth no more than £16,000, excluding the value of their property, and those who need help with fees for a residential or nursing care home and have capital worth no more than £12,250.

IndependentAge (formerly RUKBA)
The Director, 6 Avonmore Road, London W14 8BR – 020 7605 4200 –  The main aim is to help older people (aged 60 and above) on low incomes to live with dignity and peace of mind by providing: a regular extra income, grants for emergencies, equipment to aid independence, the support and friendship of our volunteers, nursing and residential care and help with fees. Priority is given to those who have helped others. This charity is not specifically church-related.

Society for the Assistance of Ladies in Reduced Circumstances
Lancaster House, 25 Hornyhold Road, Malvern, Worcestershire WR14 1QQ – 0800 587 4696 – The Society assists women domiciled and habitually resident in the United Kingdom, who are living alone and in genuine need, irrespective of age or social status. Often they are elderly ladies who require help towards their day-to-day living expenses. The Society is also able to assist women in financial difficulties for other reasons, perhaps due to sickness, unemployment, divorce or separation.

Additional Curates Society
Gordon Browning House, 8 Spitfire Road, Birmingham B24 9PB – 0121 382 5533. Giving grants to parishes to help pay costs of curates and encouraging vocations.

Lawrence Atwell’s Charity The Charity assists young people who come from a low-income background to become qualified or equipped to work in their chosen career.

Rustat Grants at Schools
The Dean, Jesus College, Cambridge CB5 8BL – 01223 339421.
The Trustees give assistance to needy clergy whose children are being educated in maintained schools. Although any deserving cases will be considered, they would particularly like to help clergy below the status of incumbent with children at school. Applications have to be approved and signed by the diocesan authorities, and should include a financial statement and details of children’s ages and schools. The Trustees are also able to provide bursaries for clergy children who gain a place to study at Jesus College. The intention is to attract good applicants from clergy families, and to supplement the successful candidates’ maintenance awards, reducing the need to take out student loans.

Dr George Richards’ Charity
Secretary: Dr P D Simmons, 98 Thomas More House, Barbican, London EC2Y 8BU – 020 7588 5583 –
Financial assistance for Anglican clergy retired early through ill health; also widowers and dependent children. A 2-sided A4 application form needs to be completed. Trustees meet in June and November.

Pyncombe Charity
Secretary: Mrs Kate Jonas, 2 Priory Cottage, Crowcombe, Taunton, Somerset TA4 4AD –01984 618665 –
Income of about £10,000 applied to assist needy serving clergymen in financial difficulties due to illness or other special circumstances within the family.

The St George’s Trust
Secretary: Mrs Carol Fen, 7 Brookside, Hornchurch RM11 7RR.
Make grants for purposes that encourage the Anglican Communion. Trustees are keen to support sabbatical studies and in some cases gap year students wanting to work overseas. Trustees meet in March and September.

Charity of Miss Ann Farrar Brideoake
This Charity is for communicant members of the Church of England resident in the Dioceses of York, Liverpool and Manchester who have some degree of poverty, hardship or distress. The Trust may be able to help you if you are a pensioner struggling to meet winter fuel bills or a handicapped person who needs a special piece of equipment or a family in need of help for education or even a holiday. Parishioners, clergy and retired clergy may apply. Application forms can be obtained from Mr Ware, 8 Blake Street, York YO1 8XJ, Tel: 01904 625678.

Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy
This fund can assist clergy of the Anglican Communion in the UK and Anglican Missionaries abroad providing they are sponsored by a UK-based missionary society. The Corporation can also help widows and widowers of such clergy, their separated or divorced spouses, and dependent children. Help can also be given to unmarried daughters of pensionable age. For details visit

Revd Dr George Richards’ Charity
Applications for grants are considered from clergy of the Church of England who are in need of assistance through sickness or infirmity and have become incapable of performing their clerical duties, thereby forcing them to take early retirement. Widows, widowers and other dependants of such clergy can also seek assistance. Contact Dr P. D. Simmons, 98 Thomas More House, Barbican, London EC2Y 8BU. Tel: 020 7588 5583.

Clergy Handbook

Funding for clergy training

Many training courses for clergy are free, but some have costs attached to them. Clergy have access to a Diocesan Training Grant (DTG) of £100 a year that may be accrued over three years. DTGs can be used towards the cost of a course or a retreat.

Some courses attract a higher cost. Clergy may be able to ask their PCC for help or additionally Lifelong Learning can offer help with applications to educational charities and trust funds.

Please see the list on the left for charities that can help fund education training as well as provide support for clergy families and times of hardship.